Friday, December 5, 2008

friday night

We talked to Dr. Fisher, my parents' family doctor of many, many years. He put things in perspective for us. He said her body has an "invader" and the invader has the advantage right now. He expects it will have the advantage for 4 or 5 days. During this time is when we need to gather the troops and begin the battle. That's the ventilator, steroids, antibiotics, dialysis (if needed).....After 5-7 days, ONLY THEN will we see if her body is going to be able to fight it. That's when things start turning around if they're going to. I think I have been hoping and expecting to see gradual daily improvement but after talking with Dr. Fisher, I'm realizing he is confirming what the other doctors have been saying all along: We shouldn't expect anything for a week. My dad practically had a spring in his step after hearing this from Dr. Fisher. He really respects him and it was comforting to know that he thinks we're doing the right thing and that the doctors are making good calls.
We told mom we had talked with him and dad said, "Babe, Dr. Fisher thinks all we're doing here is worthwhile". Mom just slowly nodded her head. I told her that he expected it would be at least 4 days (I couldn't bring myself to tell her 5-7) before we should expect big changes. She sighed and sort of slumped her shoulders. I'm sure 4 days of this seems like forever to her. At about 8:30 tonight, she was resting much better than she had all day though, due to the nurse increasing her sedation. I hope she sleeps all night.
On another note, my brother, Brandon is sick with some sort of stomach bug. Sorry Bran.....I hope you are feeling better really soon.

11 comments:

Nona said...

Hey Shea - I talked to your dad tonight and he told me you were using your blog to share information on your mom. Since I haven't talked directly to you this week, I wanted to write and let you know that Kelly and I are praying for you, your dad, your children, the rest of the family and, most importantly, for your mom. I haven't slept much this week. You are in my thoughts constantly during the day. I pray continuously for Kay's healing and strength for all of you during this unimaginable time. You know how important your mom is to me. As she has for many others, Kay has blessed and enriched my life in countless ways over the years. She is a dear, dear friend and more like my sister. I treasure memories of our trips over the last few years. I am now so glad I came down earlier this month. We girls had such a wonderful time and great conversations - those memories are also precious to me now. And we have such plans for the future. More than ever, I really wish I lived back in the area so I could help you. I'm not giving up hope for Kay's recovery. You have a strong medical team and dozens of people lifting you all up in prayer. Give her my love. Nona

Anonymous said...

Best news I've heard all week! Hang in there Kay. We love you bunches!

Dara S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dara S said...

Hi to the Dewberry's, This is Dara Sinclair from Wesley Chapel church and I heard through the prayer request line that this is a good way to communicate with you. I wanted to let you know Larry and Kay and all the family that you are in our prayers. So sorry to know Kay is struggling now. We were at church tonight for the children's Christmas play dress rehearsal and if there are extra prayers out there this production which is scheduled for Sunday could use some of them!! I know God will bless the play Sunday and the wonderful good news of Jesus' birth will be told, but man it sure looked a bit shaky tonight!! Who doesn't have a great memory of a church childrens Christmas play where baby Jesus get's dropped or a wise man trips over their robe or the little angels wander around, but the kids are so cute and the story is so awesome that it's a success, no matter what! All is well in the Sinclair household, Jess is doing great at GA Tech and we'll be sure to let her know your need for prayers. I've always felt she is one of God's favorites (do all parents feel that way?!), so her prayers are extra powerful. Hang tough and we'll see you both in church soon! Love, Dara and Ken and Jess and KJ and Kelly and Maggie

Paula said...

Shea,
I have been on the continual update and your mom and family have been ever on my heart and prayers. Your parents took me in when we joined Wesley Chapel and have given me strength and guidance over the years. I know it is tough seeing her sick like this but she is tough and in one of the best places. Miracles happen every day. She was just talking about what a treasure Eli is to her. I love her very much and will come and sit if you need a break. I drive by the hospital every day on my way to work. My mom was in the hospital last year for a month and you know God is holding her hand. Give her Kisses for me.

Sister in Christ,
Paula Cook

Location: Berlin, DE said...

Friend, you, your mom, dad, family are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We know your mom is a fighting and has willed her way this far. We pray for God's mercy, wisdom, and discernment through this difficult and confusing time. We love you guys! xoxo

Kathy said...

Hi Kay - I'm glad to hear that the doctors are on top of things and that you're hanging tough - that's what it's going to take for the next few days and I know you can do it! Rick and I have been in Augusta with my sister and brother-in-law and I hate that I can't be there with you, Larry, Shea and your family right now. However, all of us have been praying and praying - hope you can feel all of the prayers being offered in your name surrounding and covering you like a warm, fluffy quilt. I like the image that was mentioned in the book, the Shack - perhaps it will give you some comfort as well. Picture yourself in the middle of a hanging, swirling mobile - God is right there in the center with you. All of the ills of the world are swirling around you right now, but both of you are in the center together and he's never going to leave that center with you - ever!
I'll be watching the blog for some good news in the next couple days and hope to be able to see you when we get back home again. In the meantime, keep our love and our prayers close to your heart!

KLOL said...

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Love in Him,
Karen

amybeth said...

I have been praying for your mom- and for your family. Katie has been keeping me updated, but I am glad to see that you are updating your blog. I will check in often so I will know how to pray specifically.

Anonymous said...

Hi to the Dewberry Family...You have been in my prayers many times a day since I heard you were in the hospital. I will continue to pray for healing, strength, rest, patience and peace. I understand what you are going through right now and I understand how the combination of medicine can cause other issues. Once the treatment is done, those other issues will subside. If there is anything I can do from this side of town, please let me know. You have supported us for many years and if there is anything you need now, I want to help you. Lots of prayers and love. Larkin Hays

Kay Dew Shostak said...

Kay
Wow do you have a lot of folks praying for you. I've heard from several of the youth now away at college and they are so concerned about you. I wonder how many of them will try to get out of their finals becuase they're busy praying! I know what you'd say to them so I'll tell them to "cut it out" and "get back to work". They'll all be home soon so you can count on some of their sweet hugs at Christmas.
Kay Shostak