Friday, March 6, 2009

I protest!

Oh boy, oh boy oh boy! My first chance to protest! I've only been here a month and there's going to be a MARCH to protest the laying off of thousands of california educators next friday. If I want, we can dress our kids in pink (...."pink slips") and march them down with signs saying "I need a teacher".....we got a flyer about it at school today. The problem is that my friend, Nina :) will be here.....so although it is very Berkeley/Oaklandish to protest something....especially with a march involved.....we might have to skip it.

Oh! I saw Slumdog Millionaire today and wow, it was amazing. I kept thinking about Eric and the trip he took to Mumbai, where the movie was set.....if you haven't seen it, you should soon!

5 comments:

Tanya said...

That is so funny. Before I even opened to your blog and just saw the title I was thinking "how very Cali of you, Shea." I'd say that is a good thing to protest. We are actually seeing huge cuts with our public schools around here...in the millions for some bigger systems. Have fun with Nina!

Anonymous said...

I will be wearing pink to protest the fact that Nina gets to come visit you first.
Actually, I don't so much *protest* as I do *feel jealous*.

Routlyland said...

Shea, thank you for keeping up your blog. It makes us feel connected to you even though you are far away. Glad things are settling in. I hope you manage your protest.

Kristin said...

Yes, Slumdog was very accurate. Did Eric see it? I LOVED it. Ready to see it again.

AutismAvenues said...

Hi Shea!! I am getting laid off from Fulton County Schools in May. I am a part-time parapro in the ESOL class. It is sad and they are really cutting back here.

Andra=)

PS- Lisa is almost due for her 5th baby in the next few weeks. It is another boy=)